Cost To Build A Deck
If you’re building a new deck, it’s likely that your most pressing question is “how much does it cost to build a deck?” While there are no easy answers to the question, there are still a few variables you can solve. Although the costs for labor and installation can vary from contractor to contractor, you can get a rough estimate for the amount of materials you’ll need to build your new deck.
How much does it cost to build a deck?
Costs for materials for a deck range according to a number of factors, including:
- Square footage of your deck plan
- Height, width, and depth of your planned structure
- How elaborate your design is
- The type of materials you plan to use and how much they cost within your particular region of the country
For instance, let’s look at average costs for a 10’ x 10’ deck:
- If using pressure-treated pine, you may pay between $1,061 to $2,350 for materials
- Materials for that same 10’ x 10’ deck can cost between $3,003 and $6,297 if using exotic hardwood
- Using composite to build a 10’ x 10’ deck can cost between $1,983 and $4,293
If you were to go a bit bigger and build a 20’ x 18’ deck:
- If that deck had a height of 8’2” and ran a total of 339 square feet, pressure-treated pine would be your least-expensive option for materials at $3,062. If you used exotic hardwood, materials would cost nearly $8,000. If you opted for composite, cost of materials would be $5,318.
- Now, if you built a deck with a height of only 3’9”, costs would be less expensive with economical pressure treated pine running $2,775. Exotic hardwood materials would cost $7,245 and composite may cost $4,603.
Please keep in mind that these costs can vary according to a number of the factors we’ve talked about before. However, you can use the calculator below to get the best possible estimate for materials for your new deck.
Simply enter the desired width and depth for your deck below. Your results will show you the estimated cost for materials, allow you to compare pricing based on your preferred species of wood or composite, and give you options to download our free design plans that you can use to build your own deck. Let’s get started!